This ornately handcrafted pair of brass metal statues depict the Jhitku and Mitki, or the 'Lover Couple' as it is popularly considered by the tribal worshipers. The couple epitomizes a true love couple! The pair is delicately crafted using ancient tribal art techniques and can be brought into your homes through the Shambhavi Creation's online store.
About this item:
- Item Dimensions: Height 11 inch, Base Width 3 inch
- Included Components: 1 pair of Jhitku Mitki
- Special Feature: Handmade using Brass metal in Dhokra Metal Craft
- Care Instructions: Clean with a dry cotton cloth
- Specific Uses for Product: A perfect and sleek decor piece for your personal and professional decor spaces
- Weight of the pair: 1400 g
Story of The Couple
The figure represents a couple who were in love, popularly known as Jhitku Mitki in the region. According to local stories:
'Mitki' was the sister of seven brothers of a 'Gond' family that lived in a village in Central India. As the brothers had a huge affection for her only sister, they did not want to let her settle in her spouse’s home and instead wanted her to stay in their home after marriage. Hence, her brother 'Lamsena' brought the youth 'Jhitku' to home for marrying 'Mitki'.
‘Jhitku’ earned his living by playing a musical instrument on the streets of the village. Hence, the statues hold musical instruments. Both fell in love but one day her brothers dreamt that the Goddess was demanding sacrifice. On not finding anyone, they sacrificed 'Jhitku'. 'Mitki' could not bear the separation and took her life. The Tribals believe that their 'mannats’ (desires)' get fulfilled by worshipping 'Jhitku Mitki'.